i made this for dessert a few weeks ago and it was really simple and awesome.
the cupcake recipe is a modification of one on http://shmooedfood.blogspot.com
makes 12 big ones in a regular muffin tin
1 ½ scant cups plain soymilk
1 TB apple cider vinegar
2 1/8 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. kosher salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. preheat oven to 350º
line muffin tin w/cupcake liners
2. measure out the soymilk and add the apple cider vinegar
stir well and set aside - it will curdle
3. in a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, bp, bs and salt
4. in another mixing bowl, whisk together the soymilk/vinegar, oil and vanilla
5. add wet to dry and beat until smooth w/a hand blender
6. fill each muffin tin with the batter and bake for about 20 min, until
a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
7. let rest in the pan for 5 minutes, and then remove from pan and
place on wire rack to continue cooling.
to make this into shortcakes, just cut the cupcakes into thirds (i made one
cut to take off the top and another in the middle of the rest) and put a few spoonfuls
of your favorite berries and some whipped cream on top of each layer.
i drizzled some blueberry maple syrup (defrosted some blueberries, added maple syrup and blended
that together - awesome on pancakes!) on the tops as well.