Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Legumes, grains and frozen cherries

This past weekend I made a chickpea polenta that was a bit weird. I keep forgetting that I am not the biggest fan of oregano and thyme, and this recipe was heavy on both. I think I'll try it again, perhaps with cumin and curry instead. I topped the polenta with olives, cherry tomatoes, onion and parmesan before putting it under the broiler for a minute. All in all, the top was good, the spices not so much.

I also made a quinoa risotta with arugula, shitake mushrooms and onions. That was pretty good and really simple to make. I'll post that recipe when I get a chance.

Both recipes came from the new mayo clinic cookbook

The best thing I made for this week was a cherry and apple crisp.
I chopped up two apples, added a bit of lemon juice, 2 cups of frozen cherries, lots of cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg for the base. As a binder, I combined some maple syrup and arrowroot (otherwise this thing would be ultra soggy), and topped the whole thing with some ground oats I had in the pantry, more cinnamon, a bit of canola oil and ground flaxseed. After about 45 minutes in the oven it was done and it's so good. I forget how much I love cherries and the frozen cherries I had tasted as good as fresh ones!

No comments: