Monday, May 01, 2006

easy as pie

I know I've been slacking on updating this, but not to worry.
Upcoming recipes will include double chocolate almond cookies (I didn't forget, Billie!), eggplant and seitan falafel, and a recipe for the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookies ever (seriously).

In the meantime, I made a really simple pie using a whole lot of frozen berries (I used cherries and blueberries) and a small container of blackberries.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

To make the crust -
I adapted this recipe

1 cup whole wheat flour (all purpose - I ran out of pastry)
1 cup white flour (all purpose)
2 t sugar
1 t salt
1/2 - 2/3 cup canola oil
3 - 4 tablespoons soy milk (could use regular milk, almond milk, etc...)

In a 9" pie plate placed on a clean counter, combine the flours, sugar and salt
In a measuring cup, whisk together the oil and milk
Pour that over the flour mixture in the pie plate and using a fork combine until the flour is evenly dampended
(I had to add a bit more oil and milk to get this to happen)
Using your hands, spread the crust across the bottom and sides of the plate, and let the extra fall onto the counter and reserve it for the top


To make the filling -
Take about 2 - 3 cups of fresh and frozen berries and blend in a blender until
smooth. Add a bit of maple syrup and lemon to adjust the sweetness/tartness.
Add this to 1 cup of berries, stir and add some cinnamon

To assemble -
Add 3 T cornstarch to the berry mixture and the pour into the pie plate
Top with the remaining crust crumbles (I just scatter them across the top)

Bake for 40 minutes

No comments: