Thursday, July 06, 2006

banana oatmeal cookies

I modified this recipe and it turned out pretty well.

Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t sea salt
2 T butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar (I used unrefined)
1 mashed banana
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 cups oats (quick cooking, but not instant)
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup crushed walnuts

- preheat oven to 350 and get a baking sheet ready (I've been using
a baking spray from Trader Joe's)
- mix together the flour, baking powder, soda and salt
- cream together the butter and sugar, then add the banana and egg, followed
by the vanilla
- gradually add in the flour
- stir in the oats, chocolate chips and walnuts
- spoon onto cookie sheet and bake for 11 min

The cookies taste great - the banana stands out a lot. The cookies didn't spread out, so the ones that I made into nice little balls stayed nice little balls, and the ones
I pressed down on spread out a little and looked more cookie-like. I think that
perhaps the whole wheat flour was too much and maybe I should try again with whole wheat pastry flour or a mix of the two. I'd also add more walnuts and instead of more chocolate chips (OK maybe a little bit more) break up the chocolate chips instead. Overall, pretty good cookie!

1 comment:

tal said...

you can also use two bananas and cut out the egg completely for more banana flavor.