Friday, November 03, 2006

easiest pie

I had attempted to make apple buttermilk muffins earlier this week and
failed. Miserably. So I've had a container of buttermilk in the fridge and
decided that I needed to use it and I wanted to bake something with chocolate, but not something that was all chocolate. Subtlety, while not usually something I am good at in terms of personality, is something I can achieve through cooking.

I found a recipe for buttermilk pie and adapted it so that it didn't have eggs (I seem to always have bananas going bad on the table) and threw in some chocolate chips for good measure. The crust I used was made in some giant warehouse by the parent company of Jewel, not by my own two hands. The taste was tangy and sweet, with an obvious banana flavor. The chocolate chips sank to the bottom and made a nice layer of chocolate in between the crust and the filling. This is a really good and easy pie, and fairly healthy considering buttermilk is lowfat. I am not sure how this would work if you tried to do the fake buttermilk trick with a non-dairy milk (substitute one tablespoon of fake milk with one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per cup). If you try it let me know.

Buttermilk Banana Chocolate Pie
1 graham cracker crust
1/3 cup sucanat or any unrefined sugar
3 tbsp whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 small bananas
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup chocolate chips
cinnamon, to sprinkle on top

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a food processor, combine sugar, flour and salt and pluse a few times.
Add bananas and blend until well combined.
Add vanilla, nutmeg, and buttermilk and process until smooth.
Pour into crust, taking care not to over-fill the pie.
Add in the chocolate chips and stir.

Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes, until it's set and just jiggles a little bit
in the middle and the top is golden.

Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.

No comments: