Tuesday, November 14, 2006

oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

I swear I make things other than desserts. Really. For example, last night I adapted a recipe for polenta sausage mozzarella casserole by making my own polenta (easy and so good) and subbing tofurkey italian sausage for the meat (otherwise the recipe was as written). And last week I made my own seitan (recipe will be next time I make it) and proceeded to make a fake Thanksgiving dinner, seitan gyros and seitan parmesan. So yes, we eat more than cookies and muffins and cakes, but what can possibly be better than cookies and muffins and cakes? Not much, that's what.

Anthony's mom makes the most amazing oatmeal chocolate chip cookies I have ever had. They are fairly straightforward and involve pudding mix, but they are a treat and I don't make them unless it's a special occasion. Consequently, I've been hunting down oatmeal cookie recipes that are inanely simple and also not that unhealthy. I found this one and tried my hand at it and futzed around with the ingredients. I got rid of the egg and added a bit extra applesauce, and since I was using sucanat I cut the sugar in half and added chocolate chips. I think that I could have used even less sugar and less chocolate chips (crazy words, I know). The batter, as noted in the original post, is insanely good and would be awesome in ice cream. Since it is vegan I think this would be great to make with kids since they (like me) tend to like getting the last bits out of the bowl and off the beaters into their mouths.

Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sucanat
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups rolled oats (not instant)
1/2 cup chocolate chips

- line 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper
- preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- in a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- in a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until combined
- add applesauce and vanilla to the sugar and butter mixture and combine until smooth
- stir in the dry ingredients, then the oats and chocolate chips
- drop the batter by rounded teaspoons 2-inches apart on the baking sheets and use a fork to gently flatten the dough
- bake the cookies for 10 minutes until just golden, cool on the sheet for 1-2 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack

makes: 24 cookies

No comments: