Wednesday, November 01, 2006

pumpkin bread

The first time I made this it turned out a tasty but soggy mess on the inside.
I tried again, this time not at 6 am but at a more reasonable and less groggy
7 pm and it turned out just fine. I think I added in way too much liquid, but
you should make sure that your batter isn't too thick - if it is goopy and heavy
add in 1-2 T milk. A lot might depend on the pumpkin you use and how thick it is.

I made mine with a combination of dried berries, but as I was eating it this
morning I was wishing I was a bit more decadent and added chocolate chips instead.

Pumpkin Bread with Berries (adapted from Everyday Vegan)

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup unrefined sugar
2 t baking powder
scant 1 t baking soda
2 heaping t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
1 t allspice
1 t ginger powder
couple pinches sea salt
1 cup pumpkin (canned or baked and pureed)
1 cup soy/rice/almond/dairy milk
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup raisins/dried berries/chocolate chips
1 t vanilla extract
2 t canola

- preheat oven to 350, lightly oil a loaf pan
- in a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well
- in a smaller bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients except the oil
and stir until smooth
- add wet to dry and as it begins to come together add in the canola oil
- pour into pan and bake for about 45 min, until a tester comes out clean
- let it cool on a rack for at least 10 min, pop it out and eat!

No comments: