Monday, November 13, 2006

zucchini cookies

I adapted this recipe a while ago when I had a massive ammount of zucchini from my csa. I've played with it a bit, sometimes I make it healthier, sometimes I don't. Here is the most recent healthy version I made at the request of Eryn. It is a fairly simple recipe but there are a few things to note. First, I used flax instead of butter. Flax absorbs a lot of liquid and makes things brown a bit faster. To get some more liquid into the recipe I used agave nectar instead of the sugar. Agave has a lower glycemic index so it is better for you than plain sugar, and it is also about 1.5 times sweeter so you can use much less in your recipes.

Overall I think the cookies were good - they are on the cakey side, though. I added a bit extra soymilk at the end because the batter was really stiff, but I think it would have been fine without it.

Zucchini cookies with chocolate chips
1 medium zucchini (with skin)
1.5 cup ground flax
3/4 cup agave
1 egg (substitute with 3 T applesauce to make vegan)
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 T cinnamon
1/2 t allspice
1/2 t salt
3/4 cup chocolate chips

- preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper
- grate the zucchini
- in a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, spices and salt
- in a large bowl add the flax and sugar and mix until combined
- add in the egg followed by the zucchini
- add in the flour slowly and mix until almost totally combined
- add the chocolate chips and finish stirring
(optional - if the batter is really thick try adding 1 - 2 T soy milk)
- scoop heaping T of the dough onto cookie sheets and bake for about 12 minutes,
until just golden
- cool cookies on baking sheet for about 2-3 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack
- eat!

makes 18 large cookies or 24 smaller ones, depending on how you scoop the dough.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Hello! I love zucchini desserts! I am going to try this.

tal said...

let me know how you like the recipe! it is probably one of my favorites.

Anna said...

Hi Tal! I've been meaning to post that I FINALLY made this recipe this past weekend. They came out so good! I seriously could not believe that something so healthy could make such good cookies. Thank you so much!