Thursday, February 15, 2007

so... it's been a while

Sorry. I've been cooking and cooking and meaning to post... but I forget to take pictures or I totally wing it on a recipe and don't take notes... or I get lazy. Or a combination of all three.
I have made two really great things in the past two days, though. And here they are:

I love peanut butter, and I love bananas. When I was much younger my friend Lee and I would dance around her house listening to Elvis. Somehow that all came together in these:
Elvis approved breakfast bars

Ingredients:
1.25 c whole wheat pastry flour
0.5 c ground flax seed
2 t baking powder
0.5 t salt
0.5 c agave nectar
0.25 c unsweetened applesauce
0.25 c peanut butter (I used chunky and unsalted)
2 large bananas, pureed

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly oil an 8x8" baking dish
Mix together the flour, flax, baking powder and salt in a large bowl
Mix together the agave, applesauce, peanut butter and bananas in a medium bowl
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined
Pour into baking dish and bake for about 20 minutes until tester comes out clean

Notes:
This would make a great muffin!
The peanut butter I used was a solid lump, so I put it into the food processor when I was done pureeing the bananas. You could also just dump the agave, applesauce, peanut butter and bananas all together into a food processor and mix it all together that way.
------------------------------------
This is one of the easiest desserts to make, but you need to have a good blender or food processor to make this work. Alternately, you could also develop a lot of muscle strength if you tried to do this by hand.
Chocolate Tofu Pie

Ingredients:
2 aseptic packages lite or regular extra firm tofu (Mori nu - the kind that comes in the box, not stored in the fridge)
11.5 or 12 oz bag of semi sweet chocolate chips (I used Godiva 60% because I wanted to make the chocolate flavor really rich)
1 t vanilla
2 T honey or agave nectar
pre-baked pie shell

additional options:
1 scant T cinnamon
peanut butter
bananas or other fruit as a topping or pureed fruit mixed in with the chocolate and tofu

Directions:
In a double boiler (aka a metal bowl placed over a boiling pot of water), melt the chocolate.
Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor puree the tofu until smooth.
Add the chocolate, agave/honey, vanilla and whatever else you like to the tofu, and blend until it's all smooth and incorporated.
Pour it all into the pie shell (you might have a bit left over), cover and let chill in the fridge for at least 1 hr until set.




No comments: