Tuesday, June 05, 2007

farmers market: 06.03


I missed the Green City Market this weekend, so instead I hit up the markets at Logan Square and Wicker Park. The Logan Square one was tiny - there were a few stands but not much to get aside from lettuces. Lula Cafe had a stand where they were selling pies and grilling chicken, and there was also a food truck selling pulled pork. The Wicker Park market was much larger - with about half of the stands that are usually at the Green City Market. I didn't get too much overall, just some red leaf lettuce, scallions, mizuna, asparagus and rhubarb.

I'm still not sure what to do with the mizuna. Maybe make a light miso dressing for it? We'll see. Last night I grilled the asparagus because I wanted something simple to go with my lunch. Last week I made a pasta primavera with asparagus out of Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, which was fantastic, but I was not in a pasta mood this week. The lettuce and scallions are going to go into salads, nothing very exciting. The rhubarb, however, was made into something very exciting indeed.

Last week I got my copy of The Perfect Scoop. It's really wonderful - lots of helpful tips and so many frozen yogurt and sorbet recipes. The ice cream recipes also look fantastic, but they require slightly more work than the sorbets and yogurts. Maybe when Anthony's mom is in town this weekend we'll try one. Anyway, back to the matter at hand. Rhubarb. There is a recipe in The Perfect Scoop for strawberry rhubarb sorbet - having no strawberries but a lot of rhubarb I modified the recipe a bit and made a really amazing, slightly sweet, really tangy summer treat.


Rhubarb Sorbet
(adapted from The Perfect Scoop)
5 cups chopped rhubarb (about 12-14 stalks or 1.25 lbs)
3/4 cup water
scant 3/4 cup sugar
zest and flesh of 1/2 orange
1/4 c raspberries

1. Combine all the ingredients in a medium pot and bring to a boil
2. Lower the heat and cover for about 5-10 minutes, until the rhubarb is softened
3. Let cool a bit and then in either a food processor, blender or with an immersion blender, process the mixture until fairly smooth
4. Let the mixture sit in the fridge until thoroughly chilled
5. Pour into your ice cream maker and process according to the machine's instructions (it took mine about 15 minutes)
6. (If you are like me, scoop out a bit and eat right away and) Pour the sorbet into a air tight container and let it sit in the freezer until it's hardened a bit

1 comment:

David said...

So glad you liked the recipe...happy churning!