Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Internets

It's been over a month since my last post, and let me tell you things have been a little nuts. My applications to med school are finally complete and now I get to sit and wait to hear about interviews. Some people are patient, but I am not, so this waiting period is characterized by me checking my e-mail 5698 times a day. I've also begun to dread checking the mail for fear of the thin white envelope. I don't think I was this nervous when I applied to college or grad school. I'm also trying to get a bunch of experiments up and running so I can graduate in June. Finishing a PhD is just slightly less stressful than applying to medical school. Slightly.

To try to maintain my sanity I've been been going to kickboxing classes, hanging out with our dog and cooking. In my downtime in the lab I search for recipes online, so my poor cookbooks are collecting dust. This hasn't stopped me from getting new ones, though. I recently picked up Alice Water's new book when I went to the farmers market and she was hanging out signing copies. I also ordered Dreena Burton's new book, which I am waiting for. I have her other two books and love them. I have yet to make anything that wasn't tasty, simple and healthy out of them.

But back to the topic at hand. I have two recipes for you that you have to try. They are fantastic - one of them I didn't even tweak (which is rare). The first is for a butternut squash salad that comes courtesy of Orangette. It's fantastic. Amazing. I've made it twice in two weeks. The first time I used some odd shaped squashes out of the CSA box, and the other time with a proper butternut squash. Again, twice in two weeks. The first time I ate it all on my own in a matter of a few days. This time I was nice and shared it with Anthony. The other recipe is for cookies - these I shared with Anthony as soon as I made them, but not before I ate some of the dough and my fair share of cookies when they came out of the oven. The recipe I used came from Clotide by way of David Lebovitz. I added 1/2 cup of goji berries, used whole wheat pastry flour instead of the all purpose and whole wheat, and didn't use the cocoa nibs. I also sprinkled them with a little bit of sea salt. You should go make them. They are easily made vegan as they have no eggs.

So there you are! Go cook and relax. Tomorrow I get another big box of random fruits and veggies from the CSA so who knows what I'll make...

1 comment:

Celine said...

have fun cooking up a storm with your CSA veggies!